Sunday, December 5, 2010

Coming of age of Indian Advertising

I have never been a big fan of adverts aired on Indian television. However, creativity in advertising is reaching a new high these days. I have been particularly impressed with the recent Maruti ads, chiefly the one having a potent tag-line - "India drives home in a Maruti", so true when you consider that  until very recently maruti would have been the first car of most individuals, somewhat of a first love. I am no marketing guru and lack the articulation and intellectual depth to describe the advertisement's appeal and technical brilliance, but I can certainly sum up by saying that it is a real example of the great application of some of  the classic marketing principles. Another example is that of Maruti's advertisement of Estilo. It's an example of creativity meeting marketing intent. Estilo is a  redesigned zen estilo, a struggling car, needing an image boost and making a comeback. The advertisement certainly scores in my opinion and creates an urge and desirability for anyone buying a new small car. It creates a cool freshness about it for a buyer to take a second look. Another advertisement that comes to my mind is the Scooty ad well articulated by the punchline "Go babelicious". It is an awesomely targeted advertisement and scores a bulls-eye for its target market. Another neat advertisement that I have came across recently is the Alpenlebe Eclairs advertisement. An amazing depiction of the desirability of the chocolate in a fun an humorous manner. I wouldn't say  it conjures up emotions  anywhere close to that of the ever immortal cadburys' "Kuch khas hai jindagi mein" cricket ad, but it creates a splash, an impact and neatly delivers on its objective - placing alpenlebe eclairs firmly into the consideration set if not as the top of the mind recall. I have also been a long time fan of Havels' adverts. If I were to ever hire someone for an advertisement, I would hire the agency who does Havels' ads. Amidst  all these nice ads there are numerous "also rans" (quite literally,) and terrible drags which irritate audiences indefinately, inducing channel flipping. However, my general impression is that the standard of advertisements in India has gone up overall. I am sure, as I sit back and think more, I will come up with many more examples to support my hypothesis.

1 comment:

  1. Just as I finish my post, I remember the conceptual clarity and creativity of the "blackberry" ads. "Do what you like, like what you do" is one of my very old beliefs and its good to see someone making it a punchline of their own.

    ReplyDelete