Sunday, April 18, 2010

Mind your language!

My language skills are a bit muddled up and although I am quite good at all the 3 languages i.e. Hindi, English and Marathi, I am most comfortable while speaking in Hindi, writing in English and thinking in Marathi. If you are wondering what thinking in Marathi means, it is similar to the funny grammatical construction  you  get when people think in Marathi, "Mazya bapacha kai jatai?" and translate it into English while speaking as "What goes of my father"...

2 comments:

  1. he he. 'Duniya jaae tel lene' would be translated to 'Let the world go and get oil'. Thinking in Marathi.. hhmm I have always underestimated your prowess or comfort in Marathi. That you think in that language suggests its in your DNA.

    In my case I use English exclusively if I want to make my point clear to someone.. if I want to argue or if i wanted to be sentimotional/romantic (past life). Street talk, tp I am comfortable with Hindi. Its a great language for connecting with the masses. Marathi is only with family. And interestingly my thinking is very jumbled up.. all three languages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, its similar to the "The ghosts of the kicks don't listen to the talks".... 'Laton ke bhoot baton se nahi maante'

    ReplyDelete