Monday, April 19, 2010

Search results! frustrating

Have you every been frustrated with the search results that you get using google or any other search engine? If my guess is right, it would have been more often than not. I should rather ask have you ever been satisfied with the search results? The answer would be a big NO in most cases. The answer is even more obvious if the content is India centric. More often than not, information is simply  not available in the public domain in the electronic form. I had an opportunity to talk to Mr. Vajpayee's speech writer once, and I described him my peeve that corporate communication is a much neglected and underestimated area in Indian context. He pleaded that that was not true. I still stick to my argument even though I was pleasantly surprised by the websites of Thermax and Triveni Engineering recently. Coming back to the search frustration, I wonder if it is because of the choice of words that I typed into the search window that gave me trash. I do not know of the search language syntax if there is any to search effectively. For instance I am not very much familiar with the use of a (+) (||) in searches. Maybe there is a lot to them than I know off. Maybe I am search illiterate.  But then, isn't it google's problem that a dumb person like me cannot use the tool for what I intend to do? It is for this reason I believe that google should not rest on its laurels. A better search engine and google could be history. But not that google isn't trying. Solution to a long long identified need appears to be taking shape. Today I happened to see a new menu bar to the left of my google screen which I found could prove to be useful for context specific search. It has been a long held dream to have something like this as a user option. At last google seems to be working on it. I have similar gripe about gmail. An example is sorting of folders for instance based on names, which I am so familiar doing. Hopefully they will add it one day....

No comments:

Post a Comment